Friday, August 04, 2006

TGIF!!

Sorry guys - keeping this post short and sweet. It's just been too damn hot for me, and the soaring temps seem to have sucked out all motivation to get any work done. Truly fried my brain: I've been completely unproductive for the past 48 hours. The good news is that I did clean out my office yesterday - wow, I found reciepts and various crap dating back to 2003. And I keep complaining that we don't have enough storage. When you toss out a few garbage bags worth of useless papers, CDs, old magazines, crap, crap and crap, you realize it's probably not the storage that's the problem, it's you.

Anyway, hubby and I are headed out of town in a few for a nice weekend to ourselves! Yahoo!! I've packed the last Harry Potter installment (never read it) and Jennifer Paddock's A Secret Word. I met Jennifer on MySpace, and she's a fellow Felicity lover, so obviously, it goes without saying that I adore her and assume I'll adore her book as well. We Felicity followers share a certain kinship, you know?

So I'm prepped for some serious R&R - a pre-natal massage, fine sheets, good dining...ooh, I can't wait and feel more relaxed just thinking about it.

If you have some time on your hands because this entry is so short, I'll pass along a few links. For a little inspiration, check out Philip Beard's
incredible story about how he went from self-publishing his novel, Dear Zoe, to landing a fat contract at Viking. The book, which was a Book Sense pick in both hardcover and paperback, was previously rejected by 27 editors. Like he didn't have the last laugh. Ha!

And while you're surfing around, be sure to click over to
Erin Zammett's blog on Glamour.com. Erin's been in remission from leukemia for several years, and many of us have been following her story via the magazine since she was diagnosed. She's also a cool, fun, witty gal who was kind enough to give me my first shot at writing for Glamour (after four years of pitching....See? It's not easy!). She'll be updating daily, so add it to your favorites.

Anyone else have fun plans for the weekend? Has the heat caused any other serious mental meltdowns or is it just moi?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Allison,
Thanks for the Jennifer Paddock recommendation - I was looking for a good escape read for the weekend!

Have a great get away :)

Trish Ryan

Mike Vecchio said...

Allison -

Yeah, that heat definitely takes it out of me also. I don't think I could be a full time southerner!!

Great story about Philip Beard! Actually, the way things are going I may have to follow in his footsteps! I truly believe in what I have.

Hopefully it has cooled some. Have a great week-end!

xxxx said...

Ohhh, I am jealous of your relaxing weekend! Have a great time!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, Erin. 12 weddings in less than 6 months; I cannot imagine...because that must also include showers! OTOH, you obviously have lots of good friends.

And I echo your TGIF, Allison. My brain needs a getaway and I plan to escape into Lost and Found by Carolyn Parkhurst. Since LF is supposed to be a satire on The Amazing Race, perhaps I'll have a chance to meet Phil. ;o)

Happy weekend to all!

Trish said...

Total brain melt in Seattle (not quite as hot as NYC, however) so I'm taking off for the weekend too.

Have fun!

Allison Winn Scotch said...

Larr-

Ooh, fill us in on what you think of Lost and Found. I keep meaning to pick it up. I'm a huge Amaz Race fan!

And Erin - wow. That's all that can be said about 12 weddings over one summer. :)

Allison

Sara Hantz said...

Me...... I'm having fun. Had a celebration lunch yesterday for my sale. Which I've just blogged about. It's winter here - but checkout the blue sky in one of the pics!!